- Leopold Stokowski Collection
- Messiaen: L’Ascension and Ives: Orchestral Set Number 2 - Leopold Stokowski The London Symphony Orchestra
Thank you for submitting a review!
Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
As Good As They Get
This pairing of Messiaen and Ives reminds one of the fact that Léopold Stokowski was the greatest champion of avant garde music in America during the years between WWI and WWII. And his love for and understanding of this music shines forth in this superb album. Contrary to another purchaser's opinion, the Ives holds up well. Indeed, Stokowski's recordings of Ives made for Columbia in the 1960s remain exemplary. It is so wonderful to have this high-res tape transfer.
Decca Phase 4's were an odd bunch, but the sound on this is not as closed and multi-miked crazy as some: quite listenable, in fact. Musically, this is worth getting for the Messiaen, which is masterly. As for the Ives Well, let's just say that his brand of bonkers Americana just doesn't make it beyond the pond, especially at present.
Messiaen: L’Ascension and Ives: Orchestral Set Number 2 - Leopold Stokowski The London Symphony Orchestra
Such great music, especially the Messiaen. Stokowski, one of the greatest musical interpreters in history. Well remastered.
Title: Messiaen: L’Ascension and Ives: Orchestral Set Number 2
Artist(s): Leopold Stokowski The London Symphony Orchestra
Recording Info: Producer: Tony d’Amato Engineer: Arthur Lilley
Recorded by Decca 22,23&26 Jun 1970 Kingsway Hall
Transferred from a 4-track London tape
Olivier Messiaen: L'Ascension
1. Majesté Du Christ Demandant Sa Glorie À Son Père 3:42
2. Alléluias Sereins D'une Âme Qui Désire Le Ciel 5:03
3. Alléluia Sur La Trompette Alléluia Sur La Cymbale 6:11
4. Prière Du Christ Montant Vers Son Pere 4:34
Charles Ives: Second Orchestral Set
5. An Elegy To OUr Forefathers 4:01
6. The Rockstrewn Hills Join In The People's Outdoor Meeting 5:15
7. From Hanover Square North At The End Of A Tragic Day (1915) The Voice Of The People Again Arose 6:32
Total Time 35:18